Iris Apfel: An Ode

“Now when I walk down Fifth Avenue in the summertime I just want to throw up. It seems that the fatter and uglier people are, the fewer clothes they wear. The shorts and flip-flops and tight jeans on butts that go from here to Poughkeepsie.  I always say they should put people in jail for wearing clothes like that. Especially stretch jeans over [US] size 10 - they should be outlawed. Ten years ago people were starting to look like slobs in New York, now it's an epidemic.”


Not that she would ever intervene on a bad case of misjudged style. “Oh, now that would be horrible. It's a free country - if you want to look like a freak, that's your problem.


“Most of the young people today look dreadful. And celebrities look even worse. They don't know what to do with themselves.


“At the Golden Globes and Oscars they all look alike - it seems like they're all wearing the same nightgown and this year nobody had any jewellery at all.


“I mix everything up. A museum curator once said to me that there is a great jazz component to the way I do things because good jazz is improvisation and draws elements from all different cultures. And that's the way I do everything - the way I dress and decorate.” 

Full article

Comments

Post a Comment

What's your damage?